Dublin Criminal Defense Attorney
Call For A Free Case Evaluation! 888.865.0741

All About California Deferred Entry of Judgment (DEOJ)

What Is a DEOJ and How Can I Qualify?

A deferred entry of judgement (DEOJ) means that the judgment in a criminal case is delayed before the court imposes it. Usually, the defendant will be ordered to participate in a remedial class. (e.g., a theft awareness class.) After participating in the class, he or she will receive a certificate of completion indicating they have participated in, and completed, the class. If there are no other criminal incidents, the Judge will dismiss the case after receiving the completion certificate (i.e., the charges are dropped).

To qualify for a DEOJ, the person accused of the crime, among other things, must meet the following criteria:

  1. The charged offense did not involve violence;
  2. There was no evidence of a violation relating to narcotics other than a violation that qualifies for a stated program;
  3. The defendant’s record does not indicate that probation had ever been revoked; and
  4. The defendant’s record does not indicate that he or she was granted diversion, deferred entry of judgment, or was convicted of a felony within 5 years prior to the alleged commission of the charged offense.

Important – if the court grants you a DEOJ, you may be eligible for sealing your arrest record. Furthermore, since a DEOJ avoids a conviction, you may legally answer “no” when asked “have you been convicted of a crime?”

Find a Dublin, CA Criminal Defense Lawyer with DEOJ Experience

Here, at the Law Office of Ivan O.B. Morse, our Dublin criminal defense attorneys have handled many cases where a DEOJ was appropriate.

Cases where a DEOJ may be appropriate include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Domestic violence;
  • Petty theft;
  • Grand theft;
  • Various drug offenses;
  • Hit and run;
  • Lying to a police officer about identity;
  • Resisting arrest;
  • Trespass;
  • Burglary;
  • Disorderly conduct;
  • Public drunkenness;
  • Child endangerment; etc.

For more information, please refer to Assembly Bill No. 208 – an act to amend Sections 1000, 1000.1, 1000.2, 1000.3, 1000.4, 1000.5, and 1000.6 of, and to add Section 1000.65 to, the Penal Code, relating to deferred entry of judgment. [Approved by the Governor on October 14, 2017. Filed with the Secretary of State on October 14, 2017.]

For more information about the possibility of obtaining a Deferred Entry of Judgment, please contact our office online, or call (888) 865-0741to schedule a free consultation.